If you feel embarrassed to smile because of your oddly-shaped teeth, tooth contouring is the procedure you need to opt for. Also known as tooth reshaping or cosmetic contouring, it helps shape your teeth appropriately and gives you a beautiful and confident smile.
What is Tooth Contouring?
Tooth contouring or dental contouring involves removing small amounts of tooth enamel to reshape your teeth. This procedure is mostly carried out for cosmetic reasons and can also benefit your overall oral hygiene. Our dentist combines this procedure with dental bonding, where they add a tooth-colored composite to enhance the shape of your teeth.
Although the primary role of tooth contouring is not to whiten teeth or remove stains, smoothing out your teeth improves teeth whitening treatments carried out after this procedure.
What is the Procedure?
Our dentist will mark the tooth needing sculpting. They will now take an x-ray of your tooth to ensure that it is healthy enough to carry out the procedure. We will remove small amounts of enamel to attain the desired length and shape of your tooth. The procedure uses a sand drill or laser, which is further followed by polishing and smoothing.
Why Choose Tooth Contouring?
Tooth contouring makes small aesthetic alterations to the length, size, surface, and shape of your teeth. You can choose this procedure in the following cases:
- When your teeth are slightly overlapping.
- To fix the irregular shape of your teeth.
- To shape too long or too large teeth.
- To remove bumps, dips, and other imperfections from the surface of teeth.
- To fix teeth that appear too pointed
- To restore cracked or chipped teeth.
What are the Benefits of Tooth Contouring?
- Tooth contouring is a quick and painless procedure that doesn’t require any downtime or recovery. You can book an appointment with our dentist, and they will complete it in one sitting only.
- In some cases, this procedure is used as a potential substitute for dental braces. For this, tooth contouring has to be combined with dental bonding.
- Tooth contouring is a less expensive procedure.
- By shaping your teeth properly, tooth contouring uplifts your confidence and makes you more comfortable with your smile.
- The procedure also makes it easier to clean the areas between your teeth. Eventually, you can maintain better oral health.
- Many studies have suggested that tooth contouring also improves the damage your teeth may have suffered because of grinding or bruxism.
Please reach out to our dental practice in Carlsbad, CA, to have a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Adams. Please call us at (760) 804-0080 or schedule an online consultation, and we’ll guide you further.