Orthodontic treatment for children is undertaken to prevent incorrect growth and alignment of permanent teeth. These treatments are carried out before braces when a child is eight to ten years old. At Full Smile Orthodontics, we can detect abnormalities early in your child when their teeth and jaws are easier to control. This early detection helps treat a range of orthodontic problems such as protruding teeth, crowding, spacing, and missing teeth before more severe problems develop.
When Would a Child Need Orthodontic Treatments?
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing or biting
- Breathing through the mouth
- Thumb sucking
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked-out teeth
- Biting into the roof of the mouth
- Protruding teeth
- Top and lower teeth that don't meet or meet in an unusual way
- An uneven facial appearance
- Clenching or grinding of the teeth
What Are the Different Stages of Early Orthodontic Treatment?
The first stage of early orthodontic treatment starts when a child is between two and six years old. We will work with parents and children during this phase to eliminate damaging habits like excessive pacifier use and thumb sucking. We may also provide an assortment of dental appliances to promote jaw growth, create space for adult teeth, or prevent the teeth from shifting into undesired areas.
The middle stage is at age six to twelve and involves treatments for realignment of the jaws, correcting crossbites, and initiating the process of gently straightening misaligned permanent teeth. This period is also characterized as a developmental phase when the soft and hard tissues are most pliable. In some ways, it is the right age to correct a severe malocclusion. Additionally, we may provide the child with dental appliances such as braces to straighten their teeth. The braces may be fixed, and others are removable.
The last stage is the adolescent phase, wherein the goal is to straighten the permanent teeth and make the smile look better.
What Are Some Benefits of Orthodontic Treatment for Children?
Early Orthodontic Treatment is beneficial for children who exhibit severe orthodontic issues, They may also benefit from early diagnosis and intervention.
- The risk of childhood cavities, periodontal disease, and tooth decay will be checked and treated.
- The possibility of impacted adult teeth is reduced.
- The chances of proper jaw development increase.
- The likelihood of properly aligned and spaced adult teeth increases.
- The self-confidence and aesthetic appearance of a child will be enhanced.
- Protracted and lengthy orthodontic treatments can be avoided in later years.
- The risk of grinding teeth and speech problems is considerably reduced.
If you are interested in learning more about orthodontic treatments for children, visit us at Full Smile Orthodontics, at 6965 El Camino Real #201, Carlsbad, CA 92009, or call at (760) 804-0080 and schedule an appointment.