Teeth play a very significant role in our life. With their help, we can eat, speak, smile, and talk. They also help give shape to your face. Hence electing to have braces can affect some of the functions in your daily life. But if you must wear braces to treat your dental issues, the inconveniences associated with braces should not deter you from wearing them.
Life with braces can be slightly different from your routine. Slight uneasiness is entirely usual with wearing braces. There will be soreness in the mouth during the initial period of the treatment. A lot of adjustments have to be made concerning your dietary habits. Cleaning your teeth will need some extra time. But all your sacrifices will not go in vain. The orthodontic treatment results in straightened teeth and a beautiful smile that will make all your hardships worth it.
What Foods Should Be Avoided During Braces Treatment?
During the orthodontic treatment, certain foods are likely to get in your braces and cause them damage. They include:
- Crunchy foods like chips, carrots, popcorn, and tortilla shells
- Hard-to-eat foods like meat, nuts, ice, and candies
- Sticky foods such as gum, sweets, toffees, and chocolates can get stuck between the braces, causing discomfort.
- Fruits that you have to bite to eat.
Truths About a Life with Braces
- Orthodontic treatment is a kind of partnership between the orthodontist and the patient. The orthodontist offers the expertise, the treatment plan, and the braces themselves. The treatment will be successful with the patient's cooperation and self-interest.
- During the initial phase of wearing braces, a person might feel soreness in their teeth and mouth, but it will fade away soon. The doctor may prescribe pain medications for the first few days.
- It is usual for a patient to have irritation in the lips, cheeks, and tongue for one to two weeks. These areas of the mouth need to get adjusted with the braces.
- It is pretty standard for teeth to feel loose and wiggly. The braces loosen the teeth to move them into the desired position in the mouth. There will be no more looseness once the teeth are in the right spots.
- The treatment time can get longer if the appliance gets damaged.
- It is compulsory to brush and floss every time a person with braces eats. This will ensure healthy teeth and gums throughout the treatment time.
- Patients can continue playing their favorite sports even while wearing braces. However, it is suggested that they wear a mouthguard to protect the dental appliance and their teeth from any harm.
It can be pretty challenging to live a life with braces, but they are also vital to correct your teeth's alignment issues. To know more, visit us at Full Smile Orthodontics, at 6965 El Camino Real #201, Carlsbad, CA 92009, or call us at (760) 804-0080 and schedule an appointment.