Orthodontics just for kids? Not anymore! In fact, adult orthodontics is becoming increasingly popular, especially with the modern innovation of nearly-invisible, fast, and comfortable treatment options. These treatments include clear braces, lingual brackets (which are attached to the back side of the teeth), and clear aligners, such as Invisalign®. Many adults are deciding to get orthodontic treatment because they know how important it is to not only maintain good oral health but to also have a smile you feel confident in. For years, adults around the world have taken advantage of the new treatment options, and now, so can you!
Common Reasons Why Adults Are Considering Orthodontic Treatment
- Misaligned bite, such as a cross bite, overbite, or underbite
- Crowded teeth, or teeth that are spaced apart. This could increase your chances of developing gum disease or tooth decay.
- Jaw pain caused by a bad bite or crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier, more attractive smile
Treatment Options for Adults
While most people think of braces when they think of orthodontics, Full Smile Orthodontics is pleased to offer several treatment options for those adults who are looking for something a little more inconspicuous. Each of our treatment options are comfortable, effective, and aesthetically pleasing. Based on your situation and preferences, our orthodontist may recommend one of the following treatments:
- Clear or ceramic braces
- Clear aligners, such as Invisalign
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual braces (these are attached to the back of the tooth, instead of the front)
- Traditional metal braces
The Difference Between Adult Orthodontics and Orthodontics for Teenagers or Children
Perhaps the number-one difference between orthodontic treatment for adults and that for teenagers or children is the fact that a teenager’s or child’s jaw and mouth are still developing. This can make it easier to move teeth into place and reposition the jaw, if needed. Adults, on the other hand, have stopped growing, and major jaw repositioning may require orthognathic (jaw) surgery. A few other differences include:
- Gum (periodontal) disease and bone loss: Adults have a greater chance of developing gum disease, which, if left untreated, can lead to receding gum lines and even bone loss. Those who have straighter teeth can clean between their teeth more easily, thus reducing their chances of developing gum disease.
- Worn down or missing teeth: Just like anything else, teeth can become worn with time, and some may even shift into new positions that only orthodontic treatment can fix. Missing teeth can cause the neighboring teeth to shift out of place, or tilt. This can lead to an increased risk of developing oral issues, such as gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic care when younger: many adults received orthodontic treatment when a child or teenager, but for one reason or another, they never completed their treatment. Other adults complete their treatment but do not wear their retainers, resulting in teeth that move back to their original crooked positions. As adults, these patients may seek orthodontic treatment to regain or finally achieve their ideal smile.
At Full Smile Orthodontics, we recognize that adults have different needs than children or teenagers, and that each patient requires attention and great care. To ensure that you receive the high-quality care that you need, we will work with you to establish a personalized treatment plan that meets your unique needs. To learn more about our adult orthodontics in Carlsbad, California, we invite you to contact us today at 760.804.0080.